Sunday, August 25, 2013

MUTTERING TO MYSELF IN THE DARK

Insomnia has struck again, and so here I sit in the darkness of my girlfriend's living room at one in the morning muttering to myself and listening to Gregorian chants via YouTube.  It's like I'll get all settled down with numerous yawns and a fairly consistent relaxed feeling, but then the eyes refuse to stay closed...  And here I sit...

We just came back from watching The World's End at the Malco 12 in Fort Smith several hours ago, and by now, of course, all the other denizens of this dwelling have long fell into the sweetest of slumbers.  The film had its charm, to be sure, but it was no Shaun of the Dead.  Nonetheless, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost come through again as two guys that would be cool to just hang out and have a beer with. 

It's been quite hot over these last few weeks, but of course it is summertime.  Taking long walks is one of my favorite pastimes, but 90+ degree weather makes this near impossible to do and enjoy - even when the day is a sunny, happy occasion.  Most unfortunate.

I think again of my own mortality.  Someday, my form and my thoughts will inevitably cease to be.  Will some part of me live on, or will there be merely a silent encroaching oblivion?  My experiences with altered states of consciousness and out-of-body adventures predispose me toward ideas of the continuity of existence into some evolved step ad infinitum.  Even with this kind of faith, one has to wonder and marvel.  One day, I shall watch my final sunrise in this flesh.  And I shall cease to be..

Anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment