Saturday, September 7, 2013

A SEA OF MONSTERS

So indeed, we have just returned from seeing Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters.  Though I can't help thinking these Percy Jackson movies are formulaic re-inventions of Harry Potter, I do enjoy Hollywood's attempts at interpreting the Hellenic mythos in different ways.  At least they're trying.  Upon driving away from this movie, I was reminded of how much I just hung on every word of Clash of the Titans (the one that came out in 1981) when I watched it over and over again on HBO back when I was but a young toehead.  Needless to say, the ancient Greek gods and their stories resonate with the archetypal.  These are shadowy reflections of our deep minds, and as such they just feel right.  I often cringe at how far away these newer interpretations are from good old Edith Hamilton or Bullfinch's mythology.  The movie Immortals, for instance, was so beautiful from a cinematography point of view, but to me the gods were not given as much depth as they are certainly due.  But then I have to step back and remind myself that these thought forms are as malleable - if not ultimately more so - than any other thought form, and that legend draws to itself the trappings of each successive age to continue to tell its story.

No comments:

Post a Comment